TOWER was referred to by the 15 th century poet Hywel Cilcan as “the fair Tower ….a fortress twenty fathoms high”. Rheinallt ap Gryfydd ap Bleddyn, who features in the continuous border warfare of the time, was one of the gallant captains who defended Harlech Castle and carved a place for himself in history and TOWER when he hanged the Mayor of Chester in the dining hall at TOWER in 1465. The medieval dining hall, which forms the ground floor has a stone, barrel-vaulted ceiling in which an iron staple marks the spot. Stain-glass windows display the family coat of arms and the motto “Heb dduw, heb ddim”, translated “without God there is nothing”, are carved over the fireplace.
During 2010 TOWER is open to the public for viewing on the following dates:
- 3rd – 31st May and 30th August inclusive
The hours of opening will be from 2pm until 4.30pm or 1400hrs until 1630hrs
Admission Adults £3 Children £2
NOTE: The above dates cover our statutory opening days, however groups are very welcome at other times by appointment.
Please note also that whilst children are welcome, it has been observed that there is not much to interest very little children who thus tend to become fractious and are a distraction to our other visitors.
We are members of the Historic Houses Association.
Our Main Telephone number is